The Summer of the Rooftop Pool Lounge is nearly upon us! Southern California’s nearly year-round sunshine breeds a hotbed of rooftop experiences and Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants’ SoCal rooftops take entertaining and socializing to another level. Adult but not “too adult,” always hip and fun, intimate, friendly and approachable – the way only a Kimpton can be. Following are what Santa Barbara’s The Canary, Los Angeles’ The Hotel Wilshire and San Diego’s The Hotel Palomar and The Hotel Solamar have going on during The Summer of the Rooftop.
Located in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara, the Canary Hotel is steps to popular shopping, theaters, and nightlife. The pool on the roof deck is available for guests to use, and additionally, the hotel offers special happy hours and events throughout the summer.
• Sangria Sunsets happens every Sunday evening, from 4-7 pm, from June through mid-October. Pitchers of sangria are available for $15, and a special food menu is offered, including $2 oysters and a selection of seasonal ceviches for $6.
• The hotel also throws a “Wine on the Roof” event every Monday from 5:30- 8 pm from June through mid-October. The hotel partners with local wineries such as Dragonette, Jaffurs, Summerland, Presqu’ile, Carr, and Margerum. Guests pay $25 for tastes from the featured winery, and there are some additional complimentary nibbles from the restaurant. Hotel guests get a discount and only have to pay $15. Guests who bring back their reusable GOVINO wine glass will save $5 each week.
• Complimentary yoga for hotel guests is offered on the roof every Saturday at 8 a.m.
Kimpton’s newest SoCal property, Los Angeles’ The Hotel Wilshire offers one of the city’s most chic and modern rooftop experiences with panoramic views of the Hollywood Hills, The Roof on Wilshire restaurant and bar, semi-private dining cabanas, lap pool, lounges and an intimate sunken firepit.
The rooftop takes full advantage of glorious weather, its central location, views and cool urban vibe this summer:
• Wine Hour on The Roof: From 5-6 p.m., Kimpton’s legendary complimentary wine hour takes on LA hip, with a variety of wines, including from local wineries; and Chef Eric Greenspan will provide bites and specialty cocktail tastes. A perfect beginning followed by dinner at The Roof on Wilshire
• Movies in the Penthouse: Replacing Dive In Movies is an urban alternative: Movies in the Penthouse, located on the rooftop level. Throughout the summer, complimentary movies will be shown for guests that take on themes of its cultural neighbors’ exhibits and iconic or Los Angeles based movies such as such as “Chinatown,” “LA Confidential,” “LA Stories,” “Pretty Woman,” Hitchcock films, “Casablanca” and “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.” Gourmet popcorn and other snacks are served.
• Aqua Yoga: The Hotel Wilshire takes its yoga service up a notch by offering hotel guests monthly aqua yoga classes on Saturday mornings in its lap pool. Taught by Lululemon Ambassadors, it’s a great way to stay cool during a non impact yoga workout
At Hotel Solamar in downtown San Diego, guests are never far from the sea, sun and easygoing spirit this city is known for. There’s always a ripple of energy around here, which is only natural considering we’re at the intersection of the city’s most dynamic neighborhoods: Gaslamp District, Ballpark District and Convention Center. Surrounding Hotel Solamar’s Shore Pool is Solamar Terrace’s LOUNGEsix:
• Days bring opportunities to sunbathe in plush lounge chairs and private cabanas nestled throughout the space while sipping on pitchers of cocktails like their popular Pear Flower Lemonade or the Agave Bramble. If guests feel hungry, snack on specialties from the kitchen of Chef Christian Graves.
• For those looking to relax and take the road off, Solamar offers poolside Pilates mat classes every Saturday from 10-11 a.m. for $10/class. The classes are part of Solamar’s Mind Your Ps wellness program and a great way to take in the open air and start your weekend!
• Nights, set to the glow of cozy fire pits and the city skyline, invite guests to play at the terrace’s bar, LOUNGEsix. Enjoy weekday specials, like Tuesday Cigar and Scotch Nights, or Thursday Pint Nights. Located just one block from Petco Park, LOUNGEsix is also an ideal location for pre or post Padres game festivities.
Move into luxury and sophisticated, art-filled style at Hotel Palomar San Diego. In the center of downtown arts and culture, surrounded by award-winning theaters and nightlife and just steps from San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter.
• Located on the fourth floor of Hotel Palomar, SummerSalt is making waves with a set of new events, updated menus and a fresh summer theme for 2013. Haven at SummerSalt includes Pool House Sundays with bottle service and world-renowned DJs, barbecue feasts every Saturday and a live music series every Thursday-Saturday. Look for a menu of light, beach body friendly bites from Chef Simon Dolinky and playful new cocktails to compliment the dynamic energy surrounding the space.
• Additionally, as part of the hotel’s wellness focus, guests can enjoy complimentary chair massages, courtesy of Se Spa, during select nightly hosted wine hours.