Destination Hotels Offers Travel Experiences to Help the Planet

tree planting

With Earth Day coming up on April 22nd, I wanted to make you aware of what Destination Hotels is doing to celebrate with special eco-friendly programming across its collection of properties. The leading hospitality brand doesn’t need a holiday to put the environment at the forefront, however, Destination Hotels is constantly expanding on its Destination Earth program. Read on for more on how Destination ensures Earth-friendly practices are in place across all its properties:

  • Suncadia Resort, A Destination Hotel, located in Washington state, will lead a Family Guided Group Hike down to the scenic Cle Elum river corridor. Visitors can journey through acres of forest over deer and elk trails while gaining knowledge of native plants, wildlife, and the resort’s history. Guests can also enjoy making fun, creative crafts in an Eco DIY session, to flex their artistic muscles while reducing the impact on the Earth. All the crafts will utilize recycled and reused materials from the surrounding areas of Suncadia.
  • At La Cantera Resort & Spa, A Destination Hotel, Water for People will be on the cocktail menu in time for Earth Day and will support a five-year mission between Water for People and Absolut Elyx to bring access to safe water to over 100,000 people worldwide. A blend of Absolut Elyx, Moet et Chandon ‘Ice’, Giffard Strawberry, Pink Peppercorn Syrup, and Lemon, this do-gooder treat will serve 4 for $60. For more details, check out: https://www.waterforpeople.org/.
  • Quirk Hotel, A Destination Hotel will celebrate by having its management, staff, and owners gather to plant a variety of species in its courtyard. This will include hyacinth bean climbing vines, pink camellia, pink roses, and most importantly, a few edible treats for chef to incorporate into his menu. The planting will take place in the courtyard and on Broad Street in front of the hotel.
  • On Friday, April 21st, L’Auberge Del Mar, A Destination Hotel will host an Earth Day Weekend Paddle Out to honor the work of the area’s ocean preservationists. The Paddle Out will depart from Powerhouse Park and hotel guests can either arrange for boards through the concierge or may bring their own. After working up an appetite paddling out on the water, guests can enjoy a special menu at Kitchen 1450 for Earth Day. The menu is created based on seasonal and local availability and the meal will consist of a three-course prix fixe menu. As protein is the most carbon-dense part of any meal, all fish, meat, and cheese will be locally sourced to ensure freshness as well as minimize the environmental impact of the meal.
  • Skamania Lodge, A Destination Hotel invests heavily in preserving the scenery to which it owes its stunning setting. Donations from Skamania Lodge have directly funded five projects in the Columbia River Gorge, including 2,456 trees or shrubs which have been planted as a result of this partnership; 10 acres of habitat have been restored or maintained for wildlife; 50 acres have been treated for invasive species; 8 acres of wetland and riparian area have been restored; 249 youth have been employed or engaged as a result and 598 volunteers have been engaged, resulting in a total of 8,106 volunteer hours.
  • Terranea Resort, A Destination Hotel boxed by hand the 45 mature trees on its property and moved them to a nursery while the hotel was under construction. They have since been replanted throughout the resort at points of key visual interest, including the four magnificent, 30-foot coral trees standing proudly in the resort’s courtyard entrance. Other initiatives from Terranea include:
    • Landscaping of drought-resistant, indigenous plant species, such as the Bright Green Dudleya and the Catalina Island Desert-Thorn. These rare plants are only found in Palos Verdes, Catalina and the Channel Islands.
    • Only 25% of the resort is covered in impermeable material, leaving the remaining 75% as “green space” that allows for drainage and groundwater replenishment.
    • Installation of bioswales, which act as artificial wetlands. These miniature ecosystems enhance water quality by reducing land runoff and provide a habitat for many avian species.
    • Terranea’s protected dense coastal sage scrub is a natural sanctuary for the El Segundo Blue Butterfly and the California Gnatcatcher bird, two indigenous species that are listed as endangered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
  • Knowing how valuable bees are for the environment and for humans’ food sources, throughout this week Wild Dunes Resort, A Destination Hotel in Charleston, South Carolina, is hosting activities to help protect bees. During the week, the property will feature fun facts about creating successful habitats for bees, and tips on how to treat those pesky pests without the use of harmful pesticides.
 

Tags:

 
 

About the author

More posts by