The average American’s tax refund is approximately $3,120. While some may suggest paying off debt or saving it for a rainy day, we say there’s no better use for a payout than a vacation! Below are seven great trips to spend your rebate on—and don’t worry, with prices starting at $1,499, you might have some money left over.
- Explore Thailand: Discover Bangkok, including the Grand Palace and floating markets. Experience Chiang Mai and northern Thai culture, connect with elephants, and spend time on the beaches of Phuket for some relaxation time at the end of the trip. This 10-day tour is a fantastic introduction to natural and cultural wonders of the country. Prices with Adventure Life start at $1,525.
- Experience Louisiana’s Cajun Country: Take Cajun cooking lessons with a private chef, bust a move at a local zydeco dancehall, explore the Whitney Plantation (America’s first slavery museum), kayak Bayou Teche, tour the Tabasco factory, visit a legendary zydeco music studio, tour an organic pecan farm, partake in a private seafood boil with chef, and sample an array of Louisiana cocktails and cuisine. Prices with Gondwana EcoTours start at $1,499.
- “Glamp” at a Luxury Ranch: (pictured above) Hike, ride horses, fly fish, and play cowboy at the 25,000-acre Red Reflet Ranch in Wyoming. The ranch is both working ranch and luxury resort. Gourmet dining offers ingredients from the ranch’s butcher shop, organic greenhouse and gardens. From cattle drives to branding, the true western lifestyle thrives at Red Reflet Ranch. Prices start at $1,813.
- Ride a Train from Moscow to Mongolia: If you feel like splurging, take Trans-Siberian trains over a dramatic and variegated route that offers limitless opportunities to meet the diverse local people – Mongol, Buryat and Russian. Experience the rolling green hills and nomadic traditions of Mongolia, Siberia’s UNESCO-listed Lake Baikal and endless taiga forest on your way to the booming capital, Moscow. Prices with MIR Corporation start at $7,695.
- Cycle the Mediterranean: Join a cycling tour at the crossroads of the Mediterranean: Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily. Split into three week-long stages, the “3 Islands Tour” is a journey through the history, food, architecture and traditions of these Mediterranean jewels. Prices with Ride & Seek start at $3,345.
- Go Fishing in Alaska: Unalakleet River Lodge comprises all the warmth and charm of a true Alaskan lodge. Located 140 air miles south of Nome on Norton Sound, the main lodge was built from hand-hewn logs on a hill overlooking the Unalakleet River. It offers very productive fishing for salmon, dollies, char, and grayling. Prices with Frontiers International Travel start at $5,300.
- Bike from Toronto to Quebec: In celebration of the bicentennial of the bicycle and Canada’s 150th anniversary, join this Oh, Canada! tour from Toronto to Quebec City. Pedal through Prince Edward County – the country’s newest wine region – as well as the capital city of Ottawa, French-speaking Montreal and along the vehicle-free cycling paths known as La Route Verte to Quebec City. For those with a larger tax return, ride all the way from Haida Gwaii, British Columbia, to St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador. Prices with TDA Global Cycling start at $1,925.